The Cancer Wellness Centre campus features the impressive heritage listed two-storey Wanslea House which has a long and interesting history of caring for West Australians.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows built it as an orphanage in 1905. Later on, it was used as a convalescent home for returned servicemen in World War II. Between 1947 and 1984, it operated as Wanslea, caring for the children of sick mothers as well as other children from broken homes, with families in crisis. Since 1985, it has been the home of Cancer Support WA, supporting people with all types of cancer throughout all stages of the disease.
Today, Wanslea House and the other buildings on this Cancer Wellness Centre Campus in Cottesloe are managed by the National Trust of Australia (WA). Lotterywest's provision of a $6.5 million grant to the National Trust WA and a $1.6 million grant directly to the Cancer Wellness Centre, enabled the extensive refurbishment of Wanslea House, including extensions to the nighbouring Nurses Quarters, the construction of a new shared conference facility along with some renovations to smaller outbuildings, resulting in a significant cancer support centre for the West Australian community.
With the completion of building works in October 2014, this campus is now home to Breast Cancer Care WA, melanomaWA and the Brady Cancer Support Foundation, in addition to long term tenant, Cancer Support WA.